How fast I can evict tenant out of my house for non-payment of rent?

Tenant is not responding and I am worried about any damages that the tenant is doing inside. I gave tenant 10 day written notice of late rent.

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are correct that 10 days notice is what you need before beginning the eviction process for non-payment of rent in Pennsylvania.  My concern is how it was served.  It probably should be wither personally served or posted.  make sure it complies with state law otherwise your summary proceeding for eviction may fall.  Now, if they have not paid or quit (left) then you can begin the process to evict.  You need a summons and complaint for eviction.  Again, it needs to be properly served.  I would go to the landlord tenant court in your area and see if they can help you or have a brochure.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you gave the tenant your state's required notice to pay or quit notice and there has been no response meeting your satisfaction, you need to immediately consult with a landlord tenant attorney to file and serve an unlawful detainer action upon the tenant in order to evict him. Most eviction actions get a trial date with 45 days of service of the action on the defendant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.