How does one request a reduction in the charge?

I feel that my driving record, being that I’m 35 years old and never had even a parking ticket in Florida, should be considered for a reduction in a first time charge. How does an individual go about requesting that the State or the Judge, or both, consider a reduction in charge? i.e., Reckless Driving.

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a DWI attorney in Pinellas County, Florida to help you with this; you need someone familiar with all of the ins and outs of the process.  This area of law it very technical and getting charges reduced or dropped is not unheard of.  Again good legal representation is key.  Retain an attorney that specializes in DUI cases.  Since this is your first offense you may have some success here.

For examples of all of the defenses that can be put for here's a link:

As you can see trying to do this yourself will be difficult, if not impossible.  Remember, whatever the fee that it charged, it will be well worth it; and, something many people don't realize, a conviction for DUI leaves you with a criminal record as well. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.