How does one go about claiming an estate that has been placed into a non-supervised account called the Missing Legatees Fund as ordered by the county probate court?

According to the docket, I am the sole heir, the PR has been terminated and the case closed but only withing the last two years. When the case was open the PR could not locate me and so it was placed into the above-named account.Does anyone know the process for claimimg the estate? Where to start? I have already attempted to contact the WCPC and the WCTO but only get automated menus and I have yet to receive any call-backs and don’t expect to.

Asked on August 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Although each state's laws are different, it is my understanding on a general basis that what you need to do is to Petition the Probate COurt  - because they issued the order depositing the funds - for release.  I would speak with an attorney in your area as soon as you can because there are generally time limits on getting the funds released before they escheat to the state as unclaimed funds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.