How does one enforce a divorce degree from another state for an ex-spouse for 18 years of non-payment?

I cannot afford to travel 3,000 miles to enforce in the state the decree was issued and the state in.which he lives.

Asked on February 4, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing to have your ex held in contempt of court.  In addition to the Order to Show Cause, you should also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of contempt of court against your ex.  With the Order to Show Cause, you will need to schedule a date for the hearing with the court clerk.
You can file these documents by mail and you can request a hearing by telephone so that you don't have to be physically present at the hearing.  Check with the court clerk regarding the documents you need to file for contempt of court as they may vary from state to state.  Also, check with the court clerk regarding the procedure and deadline for filing a request for a telephonic hearing.  If you miss the deadline for filing your request for a telephonic hearing, the court will deny your request.  One issue that you should be prepared to answer at the hearing is why you waited 18 years to file for contempt of court against your ex. 
Copies of the documents you file with the court must be served by mail on your ex so that your ex has notice of the hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.