How does one change third party custody back to a biological parent.

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have to file a motion for change of custody. You must show that there's a material substantial change in circumstances that is in the best interest of the child to be returned to you.

The law favors a biological parent's right to custody even when it is been transferred to a third-party. It is generally considered to be the child's best interest to be with its natural parents.


Brad Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.