How does my father put my late grandparent’s land in my name if there was no Will?

My father also can’t find his siblings or their children.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your grandfather' estate has to go through the probate process in order to transfer the property.  Some one needs to be appointed as the Personal Representative in order to use an Executor's Deed to transfer to the beneficiaries.  Now, the property will pass via the intestacy statutes in the state.  Notce needs to be given to all those that will inherit under the statute, including all your grandfather's children (father's siblings) and their children if required.  The law allows for those that can not be located by filing notice in a differnt way.  The property is not your father's to transfer to you.  Please get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.