How does child support change with 2 children when 1 reaches 21?

I am paying child support for 2 children; 1 will be 21 and out of college in 3 years but the other in 8 years. When the older child is 21 and I am no longer obligated to pay for her, what specifically reduces the support percentage from 25% to 17%. Do I have to get an attorney and go to court, or do I just begin paying 17% for my remaining child once the older one turns 21? Is there a formal process that effects the change?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to carefully read the child support order presently in effect as to you in that its terms and conditions control the length of support and the amount when your children reach a certain age.

If you want to lower your monthly support order, you need to file a petition with the court to change such and get an order. I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney to help you in your matter in reviewing the order in effect and how you want to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.