How do you go about getting a divorce when the other spouse refuses to accept?

Been separated for 3 years going on 4; in MD.

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Family Law, Maryland


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file a no fault divorce against the other party.  If you cannot get service on the person, you can petition the court to serve them by publication, which typically occurs in a local newspaper.  Once you have valid service on the person, if they do not show up at the divorce hearing, the judge will most likely grant you a default divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.