How do you go about getting money that was court ordered years ago in a divorce settlement?

The ex was required to provide a promisary note for a percentage of the house and then provide said money.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are a few different ways to enforce court orders.  The best way would be a writ of execution, where an attorney gets the court to order the sheriff to levy bank account(s) and/or garnsih wages. 

We are experienced at this and if you are in the Ventura County area, feel free to contact me.  If you live elsewhere, contact a local family law attorney and let them know that you need help with post-judgment enforcement and obtaining a writ of execution.

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.