How do you get a divorce when you live in separate states?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depends on a couple of things.  For instance, where the property and children reside.  But, at the very least, you need to live in a state for a certain amount of time before the court can have jurisdiction.  In short, check to see how long you have to live in your state before you can file.  Then you just file a normal divorce petition and have the other spouse served.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.