How do you get a bail reduction?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Once bond has been set, the method for attempting to have a bond reduced involves petitioning the court for a bond reduction.  An attorney may be able to obtain a consent bond reduction from the prosecuting attorney's office.  If no consent can be reached, a hearing may be requested at which time the evidence may be presented to the court.  It is advisable that you retain the services of an experienced attorney to pursue a bond reduction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.