How do you find out if a state that has put a detainer on you plans on extraditing you?

My friend was arrested with 140lbs of pot. He bonded out and went back to his home state. While there he managed to get arrested again. He plead guilty and is currently serving a 2 and a half year sentence. Once he was in prison, the first state put a detainer on him. How do we find out if that state is going to extradite? What steps can we take now to get it so his out-of-state case gets taken care of now rather than when his sentence in his home state is finished? Ultimate goal is if he has to do time in the first state, how do we get it to run concurrent with his other sentence?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to pull the criminal file as to your friend concerning the first arrest to see what the current state of the charges are as to him. The file is a public record and anyone can review it unless it is sealed.

If you want to have the first case resolved soon, perhaps your friend should retain a criminal defense attorney to make some inquiries as to it. As to the chances of concurrent sentences. I doubt that will happen since the charges are for two separate crimes in separate states.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.