How do you file for a divorce after 22 years separation if you do not remember the month, date, or year of your marriage?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Okay.  Let's try and back track a bit.   Were you married in Maryland, the state that you have listed here in this question?  Because generally speaking, each state has a Bureau of Vital Records which will list any births, deaths and marriages in the state.  When you are married the officiant - be it Priest, Minister or Civil Judge - has to sign a marriage certificate (you sis as well) and file it with the State in order for the marriage to e recognized as legal.  You can do a search of the Bureau  of Vital records and I am going to give you a link here to search for your name.  Once that has happened and you get the information needed, you can request a copy of your marriage certificate.  I would then suggest you see a lawyer about the divorce.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.