How do you fight a faulty urine screen on probation?

: I’m on probation and recently had a urine screen that came back positive for substances hat I wouldn’t even be able to take because of a medical condition. How do I fight this?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a medical, doctor give you something confirming you could not take this particular substance because of your medical condition and ensure your doctor helps you advocate for making sure the faulty screen is kicked out and deleted from your record.  If you have a public legal advocate, you need to inform him or her in case a court motion is needed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.