How do you dismiss an attorney to seek another?

Asked on August 19, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can send a letter certified mail return receipt to the attorney informing him/her that they are terminated. 

The attorney can charge you for time spent on the case up to the date of termination.

Another alternative is to obtain a substitution of attorney form which you may be able to download from the court and complete it so that you are in pro per (representing yourself) and send it to your former attorney to sign and return to you.

If you retain another attorney, the new attorney can complete a substitution of attorney form, sign it and send it to your former attorney to sign and return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.