How doI complete a quit claim deed form to transfer a deed from my maiden name to my married name?

I’m looking to refinance my mortgage. The mortgage company says that they cannot process the new loan because the deed to the house is in my maiden name. They have directed me to complete a quit claim deed form transferring the deed from my old name to my new name. I’m concerned about how this will effect title insurance and how a notary can handle this since I no longer have ID with my maiden name on it – just a certified copy of my marriage license. Is completing the quit claim deed form really necessary?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The quitclaim deed requested for you to sign as a result of you getting married is a typical request by a lender. I suggest that after you read this answer to your question and if you have any further questions that you consult with areal estate attorney.

In the quitclaim that you will sign, it should state your former maiden name quitclaiming (releasing all interest in the property) to you as your current married name with reference that your maiden name was what it was. You will sign this quitclaim before a notary public and it will be recorded in the county recorder's office where your property is located. The quitclaim will not affect your title insurance in that title is and will continue to be in your name. The quitclaim deed is required to designate your name change as a result of your marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.