How do you access a court judgement of a will contestation?

There were two versions of my mother’s will one held by my brother and one by me older sister. They went to court to have a judgment on which version of the will is valid. How could I get a copy of that court judgment?

Asked on November 3, 2017 under Estate Planning, Nebraska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you know the case number, you can go to the court, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to copy the file or the section of the file that you want.
If you don't know the case number, you can go to the court and look for your mother's name in the court's computer to obtain the case number.  Then, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file as discussed above.
If you don't live near the court where the case was heard, you can send someone to obtain the information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.