How do remove a Judgment or Lien from a property?

My parents quitclaimed mountain property to my siblings and I. We are now trying to sell the land and have found out there is a judgment against it for the amount of $10,000. This is from a past debt of my parents

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to find out if the debt was paid.  If it was - and you have records that support you - you need to contact the party that placed the judgment on the property and request that they issue a satisfaction.  Then file it in the same place the judgment was filed.  If the debt has not been satisfied, you may have to do so.  That depends on the type of debt that cause the judgment.  You should see a lawyer on a consultation with all the information. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.