How do I write and file an affidavit for the inheritance of a deceased spouse’s estate with no Will and low income?

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am assuming that you mean a small estate affidavit needs to be prepared for the estate, correct?  I am going to give you a link to a form that is used in one of the counties in Texas.  Although it may not be for your county it will show the necessary information that must be included. Also, if everything was jointly held it passed to you automatically at your spouses death so just check you need to do this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.