How do I void my marriage?

I recently found out that my

Asked on October 23, 2017 under Family Law, New Mexico


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since your husband was already married at the time of your marriage, then it is null and void in the eyes of the law. In other words, it is as if it never happened. At this point, you need not divorce as there is nothing to legally end. However, you may want to file for an annulment to clear up any legal complications that this "marriage" may have caused. At this point, you really should consult directly with a local divorce attorney as they can best advise you further under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.