How do I uphold terms of the amendment agreement to our purchase agreement after the sale of the house?

During our inspection, our inspector found tube and knob wiring in the house, so we asked for

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Legally, she has to pay for the replacement, and the remedition (fixing) of any walls, etc. damaged in the process. But if she is overseas, that's not going to happen. While technically, you could either possibly sue her here and serve her overseas, then, if you win or she defaults (doesn't show), try to get her country's court to enforce the judgment for you, or else try to sue in the overseas court in the first place (you'd need a local attorney), as a practical matter, doing this can be very expensive and if she simply ignores any judgments against her and still refuses to pay, it could be impossible to actually collect on the money. Unless you are talking about several tens of thousands of dollars or more in terms of wiring costs, it's simply not worth the time, cost, and effort to make the attempt.
Her realtor has nothing to do with this, unless the realtor actually signed a contract agreeing to pay; otherwise, it's only between you and the now-overseas seller.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.