How do I get a copy of my late mother’s trust account if the executor, probate lawyer and trust fund manager all refuse to give it to me?

I am an heir to this estate and need to know how it is being managed and what monies have been taken out since my mother’s death.

Asked on March 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file with the Probate Court a motion for an order requesting an accounting.

A motion requires a supporting memorandum of points and authorities which is legal cases and/or statutes supporting your motion.  It would be advisable to have an attorney prepare this for you because it involves legal research at the law library. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.