How do I take care of out of state warrant, when I can’t drive or fly?

My boyfriend has been told that he needs to return to the state where he was charged. But how can he? The charge is from the west coast and he lives on the east coast? Also, how can we find out info from court, as his charges are from not completing the program.

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Criminal Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your boyfriend has a medical condition that precludes him from driving or flying, he better get a good criminal defense attorney to negotiate and handle this matter with the court on the west coast.  Unfortunately, if it is a matter of being unable to afford it, and his charges are from a parole or probation program default, then he needs to immediately find a way to get back to the west coast and handle the matter (usually by turning himself in to the local police authorities and then agree to extradition).  Law enforcement will then handle his transfer.  He would most likely have to waive extradition to process him out quicker.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.