How do I stop my dad’s girlfried from selling and throwing away his personal possessions when he just died?

She’s not named on the items .and it hasn’t been 40 days yet.

Asked on July 21, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You'd have to bring a lawsuit to stop her; you can bring one on what's called an "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") basis to get a court order ("injunction") to stop her. She has a right to whatever she likes with anything that is hers, of course--her own clothes, jewlery, any keepsakes he gave her, a TV or computer which she bought, etc.--but anything else is property of the estate and she has no right to dispose of it. An attorney will know how to file and bring this legal  action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.