How do I stop garnishment of my wages for a judgment that is nearly paid off?

About 4 years ago, I had a credit card judgement filed for $1967. My credit report showed 2 debts: card company for $2600 and judgement for $1967. Recently, the card company deleted the account from my file but the judgment is there. I recently made a payment for $120, and a total of $612.36 of my wages have been garnished. The lawyer for the card company says I need to pay $2800 but they cannot give me a payoff balance from the garnishments and the payment I made. I’m trying to pay the debt off, and I’m tired of having my wages garnished. How can get an accurate balance of what I owe?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get a pay off demand to satisfy in full the judgment against you is to write the lawyer representing the judgment creditor demanding such with specific reference of payments made on the judgment with back up documentation enclosed requesting a response by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If the due date for the response comes and goes, your recourse is to file a petition with the court in the matter where the judgment originated seeking the information for a pay off. The court should then order the judgment creditor to do so with the correct debits for such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.