How doI stop child support if my son now lives with me?

My son has moved to be with me. He is now in school and child support is still coming out of my check.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

How nice for you and for your son.  So the child support payments are administered by some state agency that has your employer deduct them from your check, correct?  Well first you need to have the order modified in order to reflect that you are no longer obligated to pay the support.  The modification is based upon a change of circumstances and you are going to have to go back to Court and file a petition for moodification to get before a judge.  Once the modification is ordered and the court signs and enters the order, you have to serve it upon the state agency that is administering the matter.  There will be lag time and expect that the money will continue to come out for a while.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.