How do I stop a company from garnishing my wages?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The various ways to stop the garnishment of your wages for a judgment owed are as follows:

1. pay off what is owed and get a full satisfaction of judgment by the judgment creditor and file it with the court;

2. file a claim of exemption with the court seeking a new calculated amount to have garnished which is less than what you have now;

3. work a settlement agreement with the judgment creditor where you pay the creditor directly on a monthly basis;

4. file for bankruptcy protection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.