How do I sign away my rights to a child?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

That all depends. The reasons behind signing them away will help determine if in fact that is a possibility.  Voluntarily signong away the rights to your child will not be permitted by the court in an effort to avoid responsibilities such as child support.  If, however, you wish to voluntarily sign them away to pave the way for adoption then court's will consider the matter.  Each state differs on their procedure.  I would check with an attorney in your area. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.