How do I setup a pre-nuptial agreement?

Can I do it myself? Does it need to be registered with an attorney?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


Chris Miao / The Law Office of Lee & Miao, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can draft the agreement yourself however, if you want an agreement that will definitely be held enforceable in Court, you may wish to consult an attorney.  They can draft the agreement for you in a way that makes it binding on both parties.  


If you are dealing with a number of assets, it is a solid investment to have an attorney draft the agreement for you (the fees are not that high and most certainly is a LOT cheaper than have an attorney handle your divorce -- should that unfortuneately scenerio occur).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.