How do I set up an LLC for which my name is not on the set up papers but where I can be the manager of it?

Asked on March 10, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Someone else can file the papers and be the agent for service of process and other contact for the LLC, but if it's a closely held (including solely owned by you) LLC, if you own it, that fact will be public--it may not be the first thing that people find if they search for information, but it will be findable. That said, it's definitely possible to obsure your own connection, or at least make it less obvious. Some strategies, for example, including seting up LLC A which will then own LLC B; you'll manage B, and A will be a passive holding company which doesn't conduct business or do anything but own A. Speak with an attorney who does business formation (setting up companies) for how best to meet your needs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.