How do I retrieve property/belongings from a storage unit in someone else’s name?

My ex-fiance and I placed our belongings in a storage unit. We have since split up and he is refusing to give me my belongings along with my daughter’s belongings. The belongings range from my personal files, statements, and records, furniture, electronics, cell phone, down to her toys, books, and baby items. What are my options?

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue him: keeping your belongings against your will is theft, and theft is something you can sue over. The easiest and quickest way to proceed would be to sue him for the value of your belongings (if the value is less than or equal to the limit for small claims court, sue in small claims as your own attorney or pro se to minimize legal costs--not only is small claims much less expensive than other courts, it is also faster). The case can be settled or resolved by him returning your items to you--if he can't or won't, you can at least get compenstion for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.