How do I respond to a 3-day notice?

I received a 3-day notice to pay or quit. It claimsthat I have not been paying the $50 for water to the landlord; I can prove that I have. How do I respond to the notice? Do Ineed to file a response to the court?

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to remain in the unit that you have recently received the 3 day notice to oay or quit, your option at the present time is to pay what is demanded so you can remain, vacate, or remain in the unit and face a likely unlawful detainer lawsuit.

Another and best option if you do not want to pay the $50.00 water bill is to send documentation to the landlord showing that it was paid as well as $50.00. Possibly this will resolve the situation where the following month's rent can be reduced by the $50.00 that you pre-paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.