How do I report immigration fraud?

I want to apply for my US citizenship. My ex submitted fraudulent supporting documents when he sponsored my entry into the US. I did not discover this until looking at the paperwork, after the divorce. I want to apply for citizenship honestly. If I report this previous fraud, would I jeopardize my own legal permanent resident status position here, or due to the nature of the abusive and fraudulent relationship, would I be able to seek immunity? What is the procedure for reporting immigration fraud?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What, specifically, is the fraudulent documentation you are referring to?  Did you already get a green card based on that documentation?  Are you still married?  If not, have you been a permanent resident for the requisite 5 years in order to qualify for naturalization?  Please provide additional details or clarification about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.