How do I reopen a divorce case?

Due to finances, my ex and I prepared our papers online. I had a horrible time figuring out the e-filing system, and when I finally had everything scanned and sent, I got an email that the case had been dismissed because we missed a hearing that I was unaware of. I was told that once the papers were efiled, we would get a date. I just don’t lnow what to do.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that it may be time for you and your husband to seek legal help here.  If a case is dismissed then generally you have to re file it and pay fees all over again to start a new action.  It is hard to know exactly what happened and if procedurally you can make a motion to place it back on the court's hearing calendar (that is a possibility in some states but you have a time limit to do so).  Please get help.  Even a consultation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.