How do I remove my name from a joint lease?

My roommate broke my leg and I need to move out. How do I remove my name from the lease? We are both on the lease together.

Asked on March 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like there is a lot going on over there and you do indeed need to get out. What you need to do though is to seak with your landlord about letting you out of the lease by probably substituting some one lese to take your place or allowing you to sublet the apartment.  Otherwise you are liable under the contract for continued rent.  Please let an attorney in your area take a look at the lease for you to let you know what your options are.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.