How do I remove a person from my land title?

Over 10 years ago I bought a property that was supposed to be free and clear. I was out of the country, so I did not have access to confirm. When I received the tax notice the following year, there was another name on the title as having 1/2 interest. I was unable to contact either the seller or the party who had 1/2 interest. I have paid the taxes on the land for the last 10 years, and the other party has not. I got the address of the other party from the county and attempted

to contact them about the property but received no response. Is there any way I can remove the other party from the land title?

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the title was incorrectly recorded, then you need to file what is called a 'suit to clear title.'  This is a basic lawsuit which has the limited purpose of saying who really is and is not the owner of the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.