How do I relinquish a Power of Attorney that I hold for someone else?

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Relinquising your position as agent can be done by simply informing the principal that you don’t want to serve anymore. That having been said, the actual POA document might set out a specific procedure that should be followed, otherwise just give the principal written notice. If they are incapacitated, most states allow you to deliver the notice to their guardian instead. If no guardian has been appointed, you may be able to give your resignation to the person who is caring for them (check with a local attorney).
Note: Many times, a principal will name 2 POA's attorneys-in-fact. In this case, give notice of your resignation to the other attorney-in-fact.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.