How do I register a foreign judgment?

I received a judgment against my former tenants. They still reside in the state but now work in another state. I’d like to be able to garnish their wages from their employers. I understand I need to register my judgment with the out of state court but the clerk of the county court had no idea what I was talking about; they tried to have me file a new small claims case. I just need to know what the procedure for filing the foreign judgment in court is. Where can I get the forms?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Each state has differnt laws and requirements for filing foreign judgements. Unfortunately you have not given the name of the state in which you intend to file the judgement, only Colorado, which I assume is your state.  I am going to give you a link to the courts in your state and their forms.  Iw ould do an internet search much in the same way for the state they work in.  Make sure you also enter the judgement in your state and file same with county clerks, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.