How do I refer to my ex-wife after reconcilliation

I and my ex were divorced some years back and now we are back together. I am planning to file immigration paper for her but I do not know which one. I have once notified the homeland department that we are divorced and I already remarried. However, the second marriage crashed and I am back to my first wife, yet we have not done the legal wedding yet. I want to bring her to the U.S. to continue our lives her but I don’t know if I can file for her as my fiance.

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As long as the prior marriages have been terminated you can petition for her again as your fiancee or marry her and petition for her as your spouse.  You just need to indicate all prior marriages and terminations to have a clear record and chronology of events.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.