How do I protect my pets after I am gone (in my will)

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Speak to a trusted friend, relative, or organization such as the SPCA, and make sure someone can and is willing to take your pets should you pass before they do.  Then include in your will a statement regarding who is to care for your pets.  You cannot leave your pets money, per se, but you can leave the person who will care for them money earmarked for your pets' care so as not to burden that individual or organization.  Speak to an estate attorney in your area who will know how to word this section of your will and I'm sure your pets will be taken care of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.