How do I proceed, if the order of the court has not been followed?

I was divorced this past May and the court ordered that my Ex do certain things
that he has not how do I get the order enforced?

Asked on January 9, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

To enforce the court order, you should pursue a contempt of court claim against your ex.
You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause for a hearing on this matter.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing on your Order to Show Cause.
With your Order to Show Cause, also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  Include any additional documents or other items supporting your contempt of court claim with the documents you file with the court.  You should also file a proof of service (court form).
After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy of those documents with a proof of service to your ex to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any additional required documents to file for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.