How do I proceed after my employer covered up sexual harassment and is now penalizing me for reporting it?

I was sexually harassed at work. It was reported to the Director. She chose not to take action until I was forced to take a day off so I would not have to work with my harasser as my immediate supervisor. Now 2 months later it was addressed and within 3 days I was put out on administrative leave but the Director refuses to say why. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on September 27, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an employment attorney. Companies may not conduct or condone (by their staff) either sexual harassment or sexual discrimination. This means, among other things, that if an employee or manager is sexually  harassing, a company has to take it seriously, conduct a proper investigation, take action if wrongoing is discovered, etc. Furthermore, the law specifically prohibits companies from retaliating against an employee for reporting a suspected or alleged incidenct of sexual harassment. Therefore, if the company took action against you and not against your harasser, there may be a legal claim you can assert. That's why it would be worthwhile for you to speak with an employment attorney, who can evaluate your claim and advise you as to your options. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.