How do I pursue clearing my record and restoring my gun rights?

Asked on February 13, 2013 under Criminal Law, Washington


Andrew Olmsted / The Olmsted Law Group, PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Washington allows for a person to vacate a conviction after a certain number of years passes (the timeframe depends on the severity of the crime).  Once a person has the conviction that prevents him from owning a gun, he then has to petition the courts to restore his gun rights.  You should speak with an attorney to see whether you are eligible.

Andrew Olmsted


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.