How do I pay the medical bills after being in a car accident with an uninsured driver?

I got into a car accident 2 years ago out of state. I was a passenger in the car and my friend crashed it. I was taken to the hospital with broken ribs. The driver wasn’t insured at the time. Now I’m being told my medical bills weren’t covered by my health insurance and that the driver’s insurance are to cover it. The collection agency is after me for my unpaid medical bills but the driver didn’t have insurance at the time to cover it. Am I stuck paying the bill? I don’t know what to do because it was in another state than I live.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your health insurance should be covering these bills for you, especially in view of the fact that the other driver did not have insurance, thus there was not another insurance company responsible for these bills.  I would ask that your medical bills be submitted to your health insurance, however you could have a problem here as most health insurance carriers have a window of time in which you can present a valid healthcare claim.  It is usually one year.  That being said, if the medical provider does not submit the claim in the amount of time required by insurance, the health care provider has to eat the bill, they cannot then pass that bill on to the patient.  Either way, your health insurance should be covering these bills as there was no other insurance available to you to pay for them.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.