How do I pay for a divorce lawyer if I am a stay at home mom and have no income?

I caught my husband cheating.

Asked on March 15, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can see if you are eligible for representation by Legal Aid. Also, you can contact your state and/or local bar association and see if they have a list of attorneys who will handle such cases for no or low cost. Additionally, you can check to see if there is a law school nearby, since they typically run free legal clinics. Finally, you can file for a divorce yourself; you do not need a lawyer to do it; here is a site that will be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.