How do I opt out of being a POA for an elderly relative in nursing home?

Need to re-assign a POA for an elderly relative in nursing home to her nephew.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Ifyou are currently named as the attorney in fact under a power of attorney for a relative where you no longer wish to continue as the attorney in fact, you need to sign and date a document before a notary public withdrawing as the attorney in fact for the relative who is in the nursing home.

Hopefully the power of attorney appointing you as the attorney in fact has an alternative (secondary) person named as the attorney in fact for your relative. If not, then there possibly may be the need to be a petition for a conservator for the elderly relative in the nursing home if he or she is not mentally capable of signing a new power of attorney designating another person in your place.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.