How do I obtain power of attorney if my father will not sign the forms?

He is unable to provide the basic necessities for himself such as food and make sound decisions in regards to his health and business affairs.

Asked on March 16, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can take him to court and have him declared incompetent.  The court will appoint a guardian, although it may not be you, to take care of his affairs.  You can not obtain Power of Attorney from someone who is incompetent to make that choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.