How do I obtain an ‘Order for Satisfaction of Judgment’?

I am attempting to obtain a Satisfaction of Judgment for a payment that I
made to my ex-wife’s attorney, as ordered by a judge in a divorce
proceeding. I do not know my ex-wife’s whereabouts, so I am unable to
have her sign a Satisfaction of Judgment form. I’ve written a note to the
current judge and included a copy of the payment receipt to have the
judgment satisfied. The request was denied. I attempted to submit a
‘Motion and Affidavit for Satisfaction of Judgment’ form to the Clerk of
Courts but was informed that an ‘Order for Satisfaction of Judgment’ was
required. Is there a template for this type of document?

Asked on October 1, 2017 under Family Law, South Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Ok hold on: where is the attorney you paid it to???  He can prepare and file the satisfaction of judgement and in fact, he should have when you paid it off.  Contact him or her and let them know in no uncertain terms that they need to file the Satisfaction NOW and if they do not, you will file a grievance against them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.