How do I obtain a Court Certificate of personal representative

father passed away an I have a will for him.

Asked on March 9, 2018 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You need to file a Petition for Probate to be appointed the Personal Representative and have Letters Testamentary issued to you.  I do not know what county you live in but generally every county uses one form issued by the state.  I will give you a link t one of the counties website that has the Probate Forms on it.  Or you can look up the forms for the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.