How do I navigate a non-compete clause for a severance agreement whenI want to open a website relating to my now previous employer’s business?

If I accept a severance agreement, which amounts to three months salary, I am asked to agree to a non-compete clause for a year. This would essentially mean I could not take ownership of a website to offer consumer education about the consumer retail services that my, now ex-company offers? Parts of the website would be considered contrary to the services my ex-company offers – the vast majority of the public, unequivocally, agree with my position.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A non-compete like you describe, offered in exchange for severance, is enforceable. Therefore, if you violate or breach its terms, you may be sued. However, while the agreement is enforceable, you *only* have to do what it says--no more. So, for example, as a general matter, not competing with an employer would not include not providing information which is contrary to what the employer maintains or claims--competition is being in the same business or taking customers/market share, not publically disagreeing with the employer's position, stance, or services.

But that is as general matter. Each agreement is enforced as to its own specific terms. If you have any question about what the agreement says or what would be allowed by it, have an attorney review it with you before deciding whether to sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.